Lubaga hospital has two surgical wards, the paediatric surgical ward with 20 beds and the main surgical ward with 40 beds. The staff who work on this ward include One consultant Surgeon, Two visiting Orthopaedic Surgeons, Two medical officers, Two internal Doctors, two clinical officers. The Surgical section has two operating theatres and one small theatre in the causality, one orthopaedic room and one dressing room.
Achievements of surgical ward include;
• New nurses, a surgeon and a medical officer were recruited
• Total admissions on the surgical wards increased by 7.9% (increment from 1,008 in 2010/2011 to 1,088 in 2011/2012)
• conducting regular continuous professional development sessions.
Future plans for surgical ward
• Continuous skills development in resuscitation of patients
• To develop the intensive care unit of the surgical ward
• To control postoperative wound infection
• To reduce surgical death rate to less than 2%
• To improve documentation and record keeping on the surgical ward